In response to a comment about on post, about food that expats miss the most,
"As
someone who is not an expat it drives me nuts to hear people talk about
the food and things they miss. It's another country, it's not suppose
to be the same!!! As a realist I understand that I have no idea
what I'm talking about and I realize that it would be a complete shock
to suddenly not be able to get things I take for granted."
I totally agree that expats must adapt to their host country, but tast of food from where you grew up is necessary from time to time. I have more than adapt in my life in France. I have learned from my French family how to cook French cuisine. A lot of French do their own jams (confiture). They also pick some blackberries in the woods or wild pears and apples. I have picked up a lot from French habits. Some are good some are not!
Here's a another tart recipe I want to share. I have made the dough from scratch this time. Delicious!
Pâte brisée - Shortcrust patry dough
250 g of flour
125 of butter
70 g of sugar
2 egg yolks
50 ml of cold water
pinch of salt
Mix every ingredients together with a food processor until you form a ball. If it's too sticky, add a little bit of flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours.
Then roll to form a nice flat round dough.
Filling
5-6 white or yellow ripe peaches
I don't recall having white peaches in Canada, but these ones are so flagrant.
1 small cup of cream
1 egg
3-4 t.s. of sugar of vanilla sugar
Whisk all the ingredients together.
Whisk all the ingredients together.
Cut the peaches into quarters and sprinkle with the vanilla sugar. Make sure your peaches are ripe enough.
Align nicely the fruits on the pie crust and pour the cream and egg mixture on it.
Cook in the oven at 180 °C for 40 minutes or until brown.
You can glaze with a table spoon or two, with apricot jam when the tart is cooked. It will give a nice shine to it You can do this with prunes or any fruit you like. If using prunes, make sure to add enough sugar to balance the acidity of the fruit. It is a nice way to enjoy summer fruits.