Couple of days ago, a person from the Interior ministry called to set up an appointment at my house, for my naturalization application. He didn't say his name and when I asked what was the purpose of the interview, the man answered vaguely that he wanted to ask me some questions. He didn't say what documents I would have to provide. Luckily, I kept every document in a binder and just needed to have it nearby. He showed this morning, and he showed his police badge. Gulp. He stayed 30 minutes, and asked roughly the same questions as the other policeman in April. This one though, is from another service. More like "secret agent" or something, he asked about a petition that I signed on the net in 2003, about Ca m b o d i a. He said your parents and your sister signed it too. Then asked if I were involved in some political party, I said I couldn't even vote, why? lol I guess he doesn't want a trouble maker in the country. He also asked how I met my husband, where my parents and sister live. He went into more details than the other policeman. He really wants to see if I was a suitable candidate for French citizenship. That was pretty much it. I guess that he found it suspicious that my home address is the same as my work address. I have applied in February, and heard from the Interior ministry only in June. The préfecture said they have one year to give me an answer. At least, I know they have treated my dossier.
I freaked out the whole morning. Not only because of the interview, but also I was waiting for the results from my doctor, I decided to take the screening test for down syndrom, and the doctor told me this morning that it was all fine. I was more preoccupied by this than the policeman. Next week, I will have an appoitment with the midwife, and only then I would purchase my tickets for Canada.
Wow... this is crazy. I didn't have to go through all this shit when I applied for Canadian citizenship and I have more "skeletons in my closet" than a petition! Nothing illegal, of course, but I was into politics as a French students and I traveled to quite a few "unsafe" or seemingly strange countries such as Honduras, Salvador, China (back in the 1990s), Bolivia, etc. I have nothing to hide but I could have been questioned.
ReplyDeleteDid you know that F.e.m.e.n leader got her French citizenship only after 1 year and a half in France? Even regular refugees don't have that kind of treatment.
DeleteThat's terrible! I wonder what kind of information they would find about me on the internet. Let's see, I signed a petition a few years ago when my former university wanted to shut down their language department. And then I signed the No Love Locks petition a few weeks ago. Would they hold that against me? This is so crazy.
ReplyDeleteA few days ago I had this sudden urge to apply for French citizenship. It's things like this that make me think twice. It would be such a stressful thing for me do to. Then again, if I really wanted it that badly, having to go through the paperwork hell would show my commitment to becoming French.
Seriously, I may have had difficulties because of my birth certificates (mine and parents), but for you, it should be a stroll. Since you visit Canada very soon, you should get all the papers you need. Make sure that all the canadian documents are in French. So you won't have to translate them. Also, the birth certificates of your in laws should be easy to get, and it is free.
DeleteI applied because I didn't want to go through the hassle of renewing my carte de séjour. You should pay a visit to your préfecture before starting to gather documents, they will give you the list of documents needed. Do not count on the their website. As for the search on the net, I think the policeman only a basic search on google, I think they would be suspicious if you were involved in political activities. You should try to apply, who knows if the right wing will be in power in 3 years. I don't think you are be a difficult case for them.
Oh and, the policeman doesn't google in English. lol He didn't find my blog.
DeleteAll the more reason to stay anonymous...
DeleteIs your real name on this blog somewhere?
V is short for my first name. lol
Delete