I have finally bought the tickets for Canada. I'll be in Montreal this Friday. Our suitcases are not even packed yet. I'll throw some basics and 1 or 2 pants, and buy new clothes in Canada. I've done a lot of clothing stores in Lille, and I haven't found anything that I like. Eight years in France, and I never found women clothes here that suit my taste. When I boooked the tickets, I have only checked for the dates that are affordable, but didn't noticed it was 25 days on vacation. I hope we won't get bored. We are planning on visiting Boston and New York. My husband never went.
On Monday, I also took AGAIN my driving test, and I failed. I try not to be annoyed by this, but I had insomnia after I took the test. I did an overtake and the examiner grabbed the wheel. He let me continue the rest of the exam, and I didn't think it was a big deal. The next day, on the comments he made : Queue de poisson dangereux. I feel such like a failure. But then again, a lot of people I know in France took the test 3 times. Don't know how is this productive. I also learned that examiners are on strike today, because the government will ask polimen and some retired examiners to monitor the theory tests, instead of regular examiners. They will keep the same amount of examiners, no more hiring. So of course, those fonctionnaires are against any reform. If they let me pass the test again, I'll be at 5 or 6 months of my pregnancy. I really hope I can deal with this without too much stress.
Also, I have other visits to the hospital, one with dietician and one a the diabetes specialist. The dietician told me not to eat fruit outside meals and insisted I eat more carbs, i.e. bread, and 6 full table spoons of rice and I am allowed to 150 g of meat, which is only once per day. She also said that tofu and soy products should be avoided. I have cut down on these already, and researched about it a little, but then again, Asian women have been eating soy products for ages and I don't think their babies have health issues. Ever heard of this?
I don't know how to handle my eating habbits when I'll be in Canada. There's so much food and restaurants that I want to try. Oh well, I will need willpower. I will have to see the dietician and diabetes specialist every month. I really don't know how much it costs, but I find that France is really intense when it comes to prenatal care. I'm sure they would prefer babies in good health than babies with health problems, which could costs a lot more to the government.
I really feel for you about the driving test. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm just wondering, are there still two candidates sitting the exam at the same time? In other words, were you in the car with another person doing their driving test at the same time?
As you saw in my last post, I had a hard time passing too. Luckily for me I went through the process in the UK, where although the test is as hard as in France, at least the paperwork is easy. When I failed I was able to book a new test only three weeks later.
I'm glad that you are going to Canada so that you can relax a little bit with your family. I know the feeling about food - I eat so much when I visit that I always gain weight. I want to eat my mom's cooking and Canadian junk food and want to go to Tim Hortons all the time. I can't imagine being pregnant and having limitations.
We're moving to Denmark on Monday and we have nothing ready. Nothing at all. Sunday night I'll just through things in a suitcase and we'll make our way over as unprepared as ever.
We have 3 people sitting in the car, the examiner, the instructor and me. I think I will have to wait months before getting another date. With the strikes and all. The people who failed are no longer a priority.
DeleteWhen I went to the diabetes specialist, they gave me a monitor to check my blood 6 times. Not only I had to prepare for the trip but I had poke myself without success, and rand 3 times à the pharmacy to get the diabetes kit and asked for instruction. I will never book a trip last minute again and have appointments at the same time. Yeah so no huge buffet, or poutine, or any junk that I crave about for months.
You still have time to prepare. Have a nice trip.
rand=ran, should have read myself before publishing this. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteSo you are on diet for the diabetes instead of insulin injection? It was the case for me. It was too painful for me to prick my fingers, so I pricked my legs instead (in the instruction it said it was ok to prick other part of the body). My diabetes specialist didn't like it so I changed the monitor kid, it was less painful so I managed at the end to prick my fingers. As for food, you can try to eat a dish at one point and see if the glucose level can tolerate it. Everyone's tolerance level is different. My doctor was surprised that at one point I couldn't even take baguette but pain mie was ok. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I actually played around to know which food I can take and which one I can't. The doctor instructions doesn't apply to everyone I feel, so probably try the soya products and if the glucose level shows that you could tolerate it, then continue to eat it.
DeleteIn terms of cost, mine was 100% reimbursed by CPAM and my mutuel.