Today I dropped by the sous-préfecture of Dunkerque. I didn't wait too long, because it is not Lille. Just ahead of me was a person who wanted to apply for French citizenship. He said he couldn't provide any of the document that the préfecture wanted. The two ladies looked really annoyed by him, because he wouldn't leave and he hired a lawyer for his application. He was sent off and that was it.
Then it was my turn. All I wanted to do is get the list of documents needed to apply to the naturalization. A lot of the documents were not even listed on the préfecture website. I thought I have gathered even single stupid document, but now I have to "legalized" the documents (Birth certificate). What on earth is a legalized document, well having a birth certificate from C.a.m.b.o.d.i.a is suspicious, so I would need a stamp from the C.a.m.b.o.d.i.a.n embassy in Paris to prouve that the document is authentic. Of course, they will do it, for 35 euros, and I need to "legalized" 3 birth certificates, not only mine but my parents too. And I have to "legalize" my canadian criminal records too.
I have searched a bit on document legalization and only European applicants are exempted from this crap. Great, another unexpected spending ahead. I hope they will not reject my application because the documents will get older by the day by the time I will submit my application. French Government is so suspicious that they would ask as many documents as possible. And to top it off, they also want birth certificates from my French In-laws. I am this close to throw the towel, but I have spent a few bucks already and this is the final step before handing the dossier. The Préfecture also wants a 55 euros fiscal stamp, which was also not mentioned on the Pref's website. Seriously, I hate French bureaucracy.
Ok I was going to do the same, going to the Prefecture to get a list of documents needed. But hubby said no need, just need to refer to govt website. I told him that I have read many experiences that they always needed to submit docs not mentioned in the website, but he asked me to prove it. Well, there is no need to prove it, as I have decided to drop the case. Apparently after living 10 years in France, I don't have to provide the criminal record doc. So I will wait.
ReplyDeleteYou should try to apply, since you don't have the same problems as mine, for you birth certificate and your parents. Indeed, the government website is not complete, it even changes depending on the Préfecture. It didn't mentioned the the fiscal stamp and the legalized documents. I was mad that it took 2-3 months for my Canadian criminal record. My husband order his from the internet, and 2 days later he received it. I must admit that some French services are pretty efficient, and it was free.
ReplyDelete