Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Still Struggling - Losing weight part 2

I can be redundant, I have probably already blogged about this many times, but my weight is my struggle. 

About a couple years ago, we (husband and I) decided to do something about our health.  (We gained a lot of weight after we got married).  We've been hitting the gym 3 times a week for the last two years, almost religiously.  The weight is not coming off quickly, but it doesn't matter.  Working out has become a need, since we lead stressful lives.  Of course, the goal is to lose weight, and exercising is not enough, eating less is the key.  I have not lost a lot of weight since I have started, only 3 kg (6,6 lbs).  I would have to lose 20 lbs to reach my "college weight".   At my University, I had access to free gym and free swimming pool (included in the tuition fees of course), and I just went to the gym without any goals, except that it was free and my friends were going too.  Sometimes, I even jogged along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, between classes.  I never thought I was athletic back then.  I thought it was just fun. 

The only indicator that I have done something right is that I have lost 3-4 sizes, I got from size 14 to 10 and I no longer have chubby arms. You can call me cheap or weird, but I rarely buy clothes in France, even after 8 years.  I just hate the clothes here.  The sizes are not the same as in Canada.  Size 12 is more like a size 14 here (44).  I always feel fat when I try on clothes.  I think French women like their clothes tight.  Last time I bought clothes was 2 years ago, when I was in Canada.  I didn't get to go last year since I was in South East Asia.  Now I just look ridiculous with those big pants and floating t-shirts.

Eating

We don't diet, but we have changed the way we eat.  As an Asian, I would eat rice at every meal, except for breakfast.  I would probably eat on the weekend a  rice porridge for breakfast if I were at my parents' house.  Now I would have rice less than once a week.  I no longer crave it.  My husband told me that we were eating too much carbs.  I have cut down on carbs, often for suppers.  I have noticed that my mother in law rarely has carbs in the evening.  We have substitued the carbs for beans, potatoes, salads, etc.  

We also try to eat less meat, sometimes 2-3 days a week.  I don't know how vegetarians and vegans do, but it is really hard to come up with balanced meals without meat.  Last week, we didn't have a lot of meat for 2 days, and when I finally eat my pork chop, I was almost shaking (of pleasure). I thought I can do without meat but I'm not vegetarian.  The same day, I saw a truck full of pigs heading for the slaughterhouse.  I felt sad because these pigs have probably never seen the sun, maybe this one time in the truck.  But this is not stopping me from having meat.  Shame shame.

In France, nothing is made to help vegetarians.  You would have to shop at a bioscoop (organic store) to find tofu or at the asian market.  In Canada, vegetarians have more choices.  In Québec, they have a restaurant chain, "le Commensal" that is strictly vegetarian. Some populations do not eat meat at all and they get by just fine.  The least I can do is try to eat less meat. 

Fun facts (wiki)
Vegetarian populations
Estimated 1 millions vegetarian in France 2% of the population
In Europe, vegetarians are found the most in Germany (8M) and Italy (6M)
India is where you find the most vegetarian population, about 40% (500 M)
Canada : 4%

The most sastifying vegetarian meals are asian (for me).  I made a pad thai, with bean sprouts and tofu, rice noodles and it was delicious.  Vegetarian curries are also good and filling.  Now, I just need to find the time to cook.  The meat will be still present in my meals but just a little less.

 Vegetarian Pad Thai

                  French classic, salade de gésiers de canard.  With my mâches from the garden and poached egg.




6 comments:

  1. I know a lot of bloggers lose weight when they come to France, but I don't really understand how. I drink more alcohol here and the apéros are usually full of snack foods. Sure, I walk around more, but that doesn't make up for the extra calories, unfortunately.

    I managed to lose some weight in Denmark, but to be honest, I really don't think I could here because everything revolves around food. And I think that I am one of those people that really has to cut back (less than 1 500 calories/day + 40 minutes of cycling/day) to lose weight. If I wanted that brownie that's all I had for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do those bloggers lose weight in France? Maybe they live in Paris and have no car? Last time I was in Paris, I lost 1 kg in a day, just by taking the métro and running around. The rule in the house is to drink alcohol once a week, ok maybe twice. Losing 200 grams is my little victory each week. Slowly but surely right? I remembered at my in-laws 5 years ago: apéro, entrée, plat principal, fromage, desserts. Thank god we stopped this madness.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, I just read my post again, and those spelling errors are shameful. Please bear with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your husband eat rice porridge? In Malaysia we eat rice porridge everyday as lunch but my husband doesn't like it. I love rice and noodles, and I miss very much some stir fried green vegetables. I eat too much meat here (my husband loves it) and I don't like raw salad. So losing weight is a tough job for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband eat pretty much everything, even rice porridge. But he is still hungry after having it. Some asian food he likes that I don't even enjoy: tapioca noodles, seaweeds, etc. We do eat too much meat here. I'm curious about malaysian cooking, some ingredients must be similar to the thaï and cambodian I suppose : fish sauce, tamarin, kafir leaves, lemongrass, green papaya salads. Now I'm hungry.

      Delete
    2. In Malaysia we have three ethics so we use different ingredients.
      Chinese use more soya sauce, oyster, ginger, sesame oil...
      Malays use galangal, tamarin, curries, lemongrass..chilis
      Indians use curries, cumin, Tumerics...
      Then each ethic influences each other so the Malays and Indians also eat tofu, some Chinese noodles...

      Delete