A lot of topics are surfacing during municipal elections, even if the elections will only take place next spring. For now, the Socialist Government has decided to stop making any decisions until next year. Because even municipal elections are governed by Socialists or UMP parties. For instance, in Lille, the capital of North of France, Martine Aubry is still the mayor, and she is a socialist member. There's a lot of polemics around the city, such as Roms (gypsies) camping right in the middle of the city. And Martine Aubry has to relocate them. French ministers are making harsh comments about this nomadic population. Even Bruxelles had to stepped in and warned France to apply Europeans rules for this population. According to the media, France has only 20,000 Roms, compared to Germany who has 100 000 roms population. This is a touchy topic because Roms are protected by European laws. The cities are required to have "camping" sites for them, but some chose not to camp in those areas. Since violence is one of the concerns for municipalities, Roms are the targets for the politicians. The Interior Minister made hard comments on the Rom situation and François Hollande, has not yet commented on this touchy topic. He really wants to win the municipal elections!
Another topic that concerns municipalities, is Sunday shopping. Last Sunday, 14 hardware stores outside Paris have opened on Sunday, and greeted their clients with croissants and coffees. The prefecture has forbidden those stores to open on Sunday but they decided to go against it. The government has no authority. They were fined 120 000 euros per day. I've learned that it was the Unions who filed complaints against those hardware stores and part of the fine money will go directly to the Unions.
Those stores say that Sunday sales represent 20% of their weekly sales. In Europe, the majority of countries choose to not open businesses on Sundays. In France, some exceptions are tolerated : food stores open Sunday until 1pm, gardening centres are opened, restaurants, movie theatres, etc. Politicians try to minimize the fact the already 8 millions French people work during Sunday, by choice or not, policemen, hospital staff, etc. Wether it is a right or left wing government, Sunday Shopping has always been a touchy subject. Out of tradition and because the working unions are against it, Sunday should remain a day to rest. In comparison, in Canada, we are free to shop on Sunday since the late 80's. It was a drugmart that took the governement to court and won in 1985. Sunday was the day of rest for Christians, but it can no longer be a tradition in Canada.
In my opinion, I find insulting that the government wants to have Sunday closed and doesn't take any consideration that a lot of people already work that day. Of course, who really wants to work on Sundays. But some do, like students for instance. The government should allow any store to open whenever they want. There are also a little extra on the paycheck for those who work on Sunday, depending on the work contract. French people are more concerned about the economic crisis and are mad that the government is not willing to change.
Also, a few stores on the Champs Élysée are opened until 9 pm, and Unions have made complaints and want the stores to close at 8 pm. Of couse, employees are not happy about this. It seems that those who represent employees don't have the same interests and goals.
French people have been perceived as "lazy" workers because of the law of 35 hours/week (implemented by Martine Aubry) and their many holidays. The reality is that they want to work just like any other country, but the government and the Unions are not willing to budge and make labour laws more flexible. France is its own enemy.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e8ea1880-29c6-11e3-bbb8-00144feab7de.html#axzz2gkVEO5Ga
Another topic that concerns municipalities, is Sunday shopping. Last Sunday, 14 hardware stores outside Paris have opened on Sunday, and greeted their clients with croissants and coffees. The prefecture has forbidden those stores to open on Sunday but they decided to go against it. The government has no authority. They were fined 120 000 euros per day. I've learned that it was the Unions who filed complaints against those hardware stores and part of the fine money will go directly to the Unions.
Those stores say that Sunday sales represent 20% of their weekly sales. In Europe, the majority of countries choose to not open businesses on Sundays. In France, some exceptions are tolerated : food stores open Sunday until 1pm, gardening centres are opened, restaurants, movie theatres, etc. Politicians try to minimize the fact the already 8 millions French people work during Sunday, by choice or not, policemen, hospital staff, etc. Wether it is a right or left wing government, Sunday Shopping has always been a touchy subject. Out of tradition and because the working unions are against it, Sunday should remain a day to rest. In comparison, in Canada, we are free to shop on Sunday since the late 80's. It was a drugmart that took the governement to court and won in 1985. Sunday was the day of rest for Christians, but it can no longer be a tradition in Canada.
In my opinion, I find insulting that the government wants to have Sunday closed and doesn't take any consideration that a lot of people already work that day. Of course, who really wants to work on Sundays. But some do, like students for instance. The government should allow any store to open whenever they want. There are also a little extra on the paycheck for those who work on Sunday, depending on the work contract. French people are more concerned about the economic crisis and are mad that the government is not willing to change.
Also, a few stores on the Champs Élysée are opened until 9 pm, and Unions have made complaints and want the stores to close at 8 pm. Of couse, employees are not happy about this. It seems that those who represent employees don't have the same interests and goals.
French people have been perceived as "lazy" workers because of the law of 35 hours/week (implemented by Martine Aubry) and their many holidays. The reality is that they want to work just like any other country, but the government and the Unions are not willing to budge and make labour laws more flexible. France is its own enemy.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e8ea1880-29c6-11e3-bbb8-00144feab7de.html#axzz2gkVEO5Ga
I am very much socialist (borderline communist) and I think it's about time stores open on Sunday in France. Some folks wouldn't mind working WE (I know I wouldn't mind in France, and I did it in Canada).
ReplyDeleteI've not nothing good to say except that as soon as I saw the title of this post, I knew Zhu would be commenting. (That's when you know you stalk certain bloggers too much.)
ReplyDeleteI love being stalked! Don't sound apologetic. Oh wait - you are Canadian! :-D
Delete@zhu, they have allowed some cities to open on Sundays, but apparently, this is not enough. I'm afraid socialists are no longer what they claim to be. I don't relate to any of those parties. I still consider myself a Canadian liberal. (are we allowed to say that outloud? lol).
ReplyDelete@Den, what can I say, I'm your fan too.
I think I identify with the Socialists as they were during Mitterrand's era. But I wouldn't vote socialist blindly anymore in France.
DeleteIn Canada, I'm more NDP than Liberal but a strong candidate may make me change my mind.
I can't vote here, but I was there when my husband voted for Sarkozy (5 yrs ago) and then Hollande for the last election. He is a swing-voter. You always think they will do something and they just dissapoint you. Hollande promised to help the environment sector but he did worse than Sarko, we got fooled when we thought that Hollande was going to help solar energy. He really thinks that listening to nuclear and petrol lobbies, he will be re-elected next time around. All I know is that lobbies are more powerful than politicians. Worst case scenario : a huge voting abstentions and more seats for the FN.
DeleteWhen I was a student in Malaysia I loved working on Sundays because I got double pay and more sales = more income for me. When I started working I loved going shopping with friends and families on Sundays. When I discovered some stores in USA opened 24h a day, that was like heaven.
ReplyDeleteIt was painful to adjust to opening hours in France. But, the bright side is you get to do more healthy outings : promenade with friends and families than going shopping. Having said so, I still support shops open on Sundays. That would create jobs for those who want to work. But I do know of certain people that won't work on Sundays even though they are unemployed, they hold on to their principle : Sunday should be a resting day for everyone, including those unemployed.
Wow Zhu, the fact that you support Sunday opening is so unsocialist. :-)
I wish French businesses could be more like in North America. One of those indicators that Sunday Shopping should be generalized is when we see the local supermarket jam-packed on Sunday morning.
DeleteI know...!
DeleteI think living in North America turned me into a dirty capitalist!
More seriously, I strongly believe France should change some traditions in order to be more competitive. And yes, that sounds very... sarkosy-like. Gosh, I certainly don't support him (never had, never will!). But you can be socialist and in favour of a better economic system... right? I think. I hope so.
Anyway, I know tons of people who wouldn't mind working on Sunday, or working at all for that matter.