Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cold Spring

It has been a cold spring around here.  I don't recall having such a cold spring since I've been in France. Ok, North of France is pretty cold compare to the rest of the country.  I don't believe we'll be in May in a few days and we are heating the house.  

Besides the cold weather, France has governmental problems.  And now, France is voting a new law for gay mariage.  Most of us would consider this as a small issue but minority of people (extremists) are in the streets to protest against this new law.  In Canada, it is legal since 2005 throughout the country.  It's been legal in Spain since 2005 as well, a country way more catholic.  You can see here on the map which european countries have legalized gay marriage : http://www.touteleurope.eu/index.php?id=5560

If you have read my blog before, you would know that I am very critical of France, which is one of the reasons why I choose to express my opinions in English.  I am amazed how this country can be so conservative.  It's all about tradition, family.  The anti gay marriage people want to protect the families : i.e. a family is one dad and a mom, period.   Lately, there is a rise of violence towards gay people because of the protests. I'm appalled that they call it : le printemps français (french Spring).  Comparing this to the Arab Spring.  Some right wings politicians were in the anti-gay marriage parades.  It's like they were agreeing that it was O.K. to be openly homophobic.

These people should calm down, it's official France will legalize Gay Marriage today. Here's to Equality!



2 comments:

  1. As a childfree person living in France, I am really aware of the tradition of family. Did you read Crystal Goes to Europe's post on going to the gynaecologist?

    Did you know that Denmark has allowed civil unions for gay people since 1989? I've really enjoyed going though the link you provided; there is a lot of interesting information about Europe on that site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have children either and I have been litterally harrassed by my mother in law for not being pregnant yet. Even if I told her that I don't intend to have children, she would annoy me with her comments. And yes I have read Crystal's post, I was really "révoltée" to read this. So unprofessional from a doctor.

    ReplyDelete