I just turned 36, and also "learned" that I was pregnant. I was in denial for a couple of weeks, but the tests were positive. At that age, I feel I was too old to have children, plus after being married 8 years, this came as a shock. The doc said I was at 2 months and a half. I am not prepared for this, and my husband and I are freaking the hell out. I have always wanted to keep my blog semi-private, but I guess this is too big news to keep it a secret. I was planning on going back to Canada for summer, but I am concerned about flying in my condition. Any thoughts and advices to share?
First, a big hug. I think I understand what your are going through.... I felt the same when I learned I was pregnant. Somehow, it kind of came as a shock, even though we wanted kids. Anyway, you will be fine. One step at the time. You are NOT too old, silly.
ReplyDeleteI flew several times when I was pregnant, one when I was in the first trimester (about 2 1/2 months pregnant) and once towards the end (7 1/2 months pregnant), both times to Europe so long flights. No issue whatsoever, except I had to go pee a few times ;-) Air Canada let women fly until the very very end (39 weeks I think), for other airlines, you may need a doctor's note, especially "budget airlines". I didn't have a note and "hid" Mark under a hoodie. Anyway, there is no problem with flying.
Please, feel free to email me. I think I shared the same mixed feelings when I learned I was pregnant. Maybe I can help? I'd be happy to.
Thanks for your support. As an expat, I still don't know how to cope with things sometimes, especially something that life-changing.
DeleteMy doctor said it was fine, I didn't buy the tickets yet, I will buy them last minute. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. Thanks again Zhu.
You don't have to apologize... learning you are pregnant is a big thing. Plus, hormones. Seriously, I blamed everything on hormones when I was pregnant.
DeleteJust reach out anytime... I mean it.
Happy Birthday and Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteGuess what, I'm on my prenatal maternity leaves. Yes we are expecting our second daughter next month, and I'm 37. And my husband is already thinking about a third kid which I said no no.
Enjoy your pregnancy!
oh wow! A second daughter! I'm sure she will be as pretty as Aelig. Congratulations to you too. I will have to wait for the first one to arrive, then we'll decide if we'd get another one. Thanks for your comment.
DeleteCongrats :-)
DeleteCongratulations! I am an expat in Berlin that also recently found out I was pregnant and was similarly in denial. Hopefully some time lets it all set in and allows for you to get excited. I am...getting there :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! congratulations to you too. It took us at least 2 weeks to get over this. lol
DeleteCongratulations! That is big news and I am glad that you shared it with us.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I think that you should be fine flying out to Canada this summer. You won't be in the third trimester so it will be the easiest trimester for you to fly during (says someone who has never been pregnant...).
No, 36 is not too old to have children, not at all. Sorry, I can't really help you that much since I have never had a child, but talk to Zhu because she really wants to help (and can!).
When are you going to Canada? I'm going this summer as well, from the third week of July to the end of August.
Thank you Den. I haven't bought the tickets yet. Hopefully end of June, for 3 weeks. I'll be in Ottawa. I prefer not to stay too long, if I have other medical appointments. I'm sorry we won't be able to meet in Ottawa.
DeleteOh, if you are in Ottawa I'll be happy to meet you! I can even direct you to my former ob-gyn if you need a "Canadian check" or anything. You know you can email me anytime... right? ;-)
DeleteWe should meet. I will email you when I'll be in Ottawa (end of June to 20th of July).
Delete