This Monday, I returned once again to the Préfecture to sign another document (my name, husband's name, our parents names), the presence of my husband was mandatory, since it is a naturalization by marriage. It took us 5 minutes top. Then the fonctionnaire told us they will launch the precedure for investigation, and told us to not to be surprised if a policeman shows up at our house. It was kind of shocking to hear that. Who knows how long this process will last and if they will grant me the French passeport or not.
Deep in my mind, I would really like to return home, but then again, I'm still here, because of this business we run in France.
Sometimes I wonder how things would be if I return home. Where would I live in Canada? I grew up in Québec, in Outaouais, a region that is mainly "federalist", where a lot of people work for the Federal Government. In Québec, the hope of forming a country still exists. As immigrants, my parents never adhered to this concept. Quebecers have the right to feel this way, it is part of their heritage. Then there was an opportunity for my parents to move to Ontario, just across the province border and they really like their new province, I followed them. My sister, who chose to live in Montréal, wanted them to move closer to her when they will retire.
I can help but watch regularly on TV5, the news from Montreal. The ones who are in power in Québec, are the ones I hated so much. After only one year and a half in place, the current prime minister of Québec (P.a.u.l.i.n.e M.a.r.o.i.s) is launching new elections for the province, to obtain majority. She wants to create a "charter of values", I don't know if this is the right term, but this charter mainly targets minorities. All provincial public servants will not be allowed to show any regilious signs when working, i.e. hijabs, cross, kippas, etc. This chart goes even against the "Canadian Charter of Rights and freedoms". I don't live in Québec anymore, it's been more than 15 years since I left, but I grew up there, I am Québécoise, I have the accent. Québec, like the rest of Canada, has a lot of immigrants, they just want to be treated equally, like other citizens.
As a resident of Ontario, I tend to stay away from Quebec politics. I'm a federalist and I don't think I'd fit in Quebec. I *hate* Pauline Marois. I just can't stand her.
ReplyDeletelol you are not the only one. I will watch closely the elections from afar.
Delete