Monday, March 4, 2013

Quinoa

As I said on a previous post, I really want to reduce my meat consumption.  With all the meat scandals in France and Europe, it is a eye opener on the food we buy.  Besides, eating meat has an impact on the environment.  A prof at the University repeated a few times that it takes 16 000 liters of water to produce 1 kg of beef and those animals are fed by genetically modified soy beans from Brazil.  Every purchase we make has an impact.  I'm not saying that I will go vegetarian but I'm aware that meat can no longer be part of my everyday meals.

So where can I get proteines if I eat less meat? How about quinoa.  Since I've been in France, I've been eating a lot of couscous, and quinoa is a great way to replace the wheat and proteine.  It has no gluten, lots of proteine and has omega 3.  What's not to like?  I'm cooking my quinoa like rice, don't know if it's the right way or not though.

I have made sauteed vegetables and tofu with curry, with quinoa.  It was delicious.  I also make tabouleh with quinoa.



 Do you have quinoa recipes to share?

4 comments:

  1. The dish look lovely. We recently started cooking Chinese dishes at home and they turned out to be so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. Your blog is amazing, looks like you've enjoyed your trip in Southeast Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I'm trying to eat less meat and have recently discovered quinoa. Have a look at this recipe:

    http://bethsjourney.com/one-week-in/

    It's quite simple but so good. I really like the honey-lime dressing.

    You might want to check out the rest of Beth's site. I know you struggle with you weight (just as I do), and I found her site so inspiring. She believes in weight loss without low-fat food and meat. This goes against anything I've ever been told in Canada about weight loss - it's all about meat and eating low-fat. Low-fat is everywhere but I think most low-fat foods are actually not healthier for us. They usually have to put some sort of junk in there to make up for the lost fat.

    Did you make some sort of sauce for this dish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it was only a stir fry with curry powder But if you want to make a sauce, you can add soy sauce and oyster's sauce. Asian stir fries are pretty much the same : garlic, ginger, soy sauce,etc.

    Thanks for the link, I'm always looking for new recipes. I've done granola bars yesterday, low fat! I think I'll post about it but my husband ate it all, I wasn't quick enough to take pics.

    ReplyDelete